Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sermons in Stained Glass


This past Sunday, Steve Wells began the fifth installment of a sermon series inspired by the stained glass windows in our sanctuary. While the room's upper windows tell the story of Christ's life, the lower windows on the south side concern the Old Testament, while the lower windows on the north side concern the New Testament. For one month each fall, Steve addresses a panel of four Old Testament windows, taking a week to review each. In the spring, he does the same for the New Testament windows.

This week's sermon addressed Job, the owner of the bleeding and burning heart depicted to the left. If you were unable to hear the sermon, check out the video from 08.30.09; I found the entire service particularly moving.

I have loved this sermon series ever since Steve began it in 2007. Perhaps this is because I grew up in a church that had a sanctuary lined with stained glass windows in simple geometric patterns with no particular meaning, and I am grateful to finally have an opportunity to let the space I am in guide my worship. Or perhaps it is because I am the daughter of a church architect who relishes in visual Christian symbolism and taught his daughter to do the same.

In either case, I think it is important for us to pay attention to what signs and symbols are around us--religious or secular. They are so prevalent that they influence us in hundreds of ways, without us even realizing it. But the act of seeking out Christian symbols and understanding their meaning. . . isn't that something like the act of seeking out Christ in the world around us? In my estimation, it is a useful and valuable exercise, and one Steve does well to teach us.

I encourage you to listen to the next three Sundays' sermons, whether in person or online. I know you'll be glad you did!

No comments: